Friday, December 16, 2005

Cyber crooks break into online accounts with ease

I've been unsatisfied with Amsouth Bank for quite some time. I keep thinking about switching, but then I figure the next bank will probably be no better so why go to the trouble to switch... But today I thought, well, I'll just do a quick search and see if someone has done a Consumer Reports style examination of some of the top banks to determine which has the best online banking.

Well, I didn't find what I was looking for, because I found this article first. It explains how easy it is for cybercrooks to break into your online bank account and empty it. According to the experts interviewed for this article, the banks tell you it is safe because they want your business; but the reality is it is simply not safe. Even with anti-virus software. Even with a firewall.

Kind of a bummer. Maybe it is not as bad as this article makes it sounds. But now I find myself faced with a more complex decision: Not only A) this bank or B) that bank but now there is a C... C) an old shoe box neatly tucked into the dark cranny beneath a secretly removable floor board where not even the most cunning trojan horse will find it.

5 comments:

ruth harlow said...

Yikes, Joseph. Thanks for scaring me. :) No, it is good to be aware of what is going on.

Anonymous said...

the article basically says your account is only as secure as your password. for me, that seems like enough.

Joseph said...

But, bobw, it would not matter if you had the greatest password ever--something like aJaJ98JsJLH9avavOa8g80a0SsFdga9, say. If one of those pesky "Trojan horses" finds its way onto your PC, you're toast. As I've said before, for the safest browsing, you should switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox.

Anonymous said...

If just a username and password is not enough for you, Bank of America will, in addition to a username and password, authenticate the actual computer you're using (you can authorize multiple computers I assume). Their online banking services are awesome by the way.

Joseph said...

Thanks for the tip. That's not the first time I've heard good things about Bank of America online banking. This article says Bank of America has the best online banking. I might have to check them out.