Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Joseph Nichols Tavern

Evidently, no one I know has been to Lynchburg, Virginia. At least, you would think if they had, they would have noticed The Joseph Nichols Tavern and told me about it as Austina McFarland did last week. She was there for a Habitat for Humanity trip and snapped a shot of the sign and emailed it to me.



Intrigued, I did a little further research. On the City of Lynchburg, VA City Facts page and on the Garland Hill Historic District site, I learned that it was built in 1815 as a tavern (although it's Federal style architecture really doesn't look very tavernish to me). Over the years it served as a hotel, a brothel, and a rooming house. Eventually, in the year of my birth, it was renovated into 4 apartments.

4 comments:

B O B said...

Years ago, I was involved in a renovation project at Nichols Tavern. We redid the pointing of the mortar in the brick. And, we matched the original color. It was a shame that someone had previously pointed it with other than the original and we could only help the situation in a passable manner.

One of the people who was directly responsible for the renovation project was Rev Bev Cosby. If you Google his name you are going to find another remarkable person and some surprising historical facts.

Anonymous said...

very nice... you should buy me a round sometime.

South Pas Blogs said...

who knew you were a legend on the east coast?

amy said...

i'm so jealous! i want an Amy Gast tavern!